Information for students and doctoral students

What you need to know when you want to spend some time abroad as a student or doctoral student.

Compulsory insurance

Many countries have regulations defining which kind of insurance you need to have as a student or doctoral student. If you travel abroad through a program, such as Erasmus Plus, insurance cover is already included in the program. If you plan to study in the USA or Canada, you need to know that many universities require that you get health insurance through the university. We recommend that you ask your future university which kind of insurance you are required to have during your stay abroad. It is vital though that you should never travel abroad without having proper international health insurance.

Check your insurance cover

The insurance policies offered by most programs and universities are ok and you don’t need to take care of anything else. Sometimes, however, the insurance cover provided is not as good as what you are used to in your home country. That’s why you should take the time prior to your trip to thoroughly check the offered insurance policy. In some cases, it does make sense to purchase PROTRIP-WORLD in addition to compulsory insurance. Here are some of the issues you should check:

  • Are you covered for outward and return journey and for the time before and after your lessons start?
  • Does the policy provide you with cover for other benefits apart from illness and accidents?
  • Does the health insurance policy provide sufficient benefits?
  • Are you covered in case of an interruption of your program, for example during a holiday?
  • Are you covered in case of sports accidents?

If such an insurance policy meets your expectations, you should probably purchase it. If you are still not really convinced or if you have any questions, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to provide you with independent and objective advice.

Prior to your stay abroad

Many embassies require an insurance certificate as a prerequisite for granting visa. So make sure to purchase insurance in time. Should the stay abroad be postponed to a later date, you can always adjust the insurance period respectively. In this case, all you need to do is send us an email prior to the planned day of departure. Where you notify us after the originally planned day of departure, you need to provide us with proof (passport copy or ticket).

During your stay abroad

Should you need medical treatment during your stay abroad, we will be happy to assist you. You can call us and we will explain what you need to know when visiting a doctor abroad. You will also find all the details in our section What to do in the event of a claim. PROTRIP-WORLD is valid in the area of validity of your choice (Europe, worldwide without USA and Canada, worldwide incl. USA and Canada). In addition, accidents and emergency treatments are also covered worldwide and in your home country during holidays with a duration of up to 6 weeks.

After your stay abroad

You should always keep your insurance certificate since the authorities in a number of home countries require proof of insurance for the time spent abroad.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

Phone: +49 (0) 2247 9194 -977

Mon-Fri: 8 am to 6 pm