Information for program participants

What you need to know when you travel abroad through an organization: as a high school student, language or exchange student, as an intern, Work and Travel participant or as a volunteer.

Make sure you are covered …

Some programs already include International Health Insurance without any further costs. Sometimes, the organization will recommend a certain insurance policy and sometimes you will need to take care of insurance cover yourself. It is vital though that you should never travel abroad without having proper international health insurance.

Check your insurance cover

Many organizations offer decent insurance policies. Especially organizations that care about their participants often cooperate with an insurance provider and offer good solutions that are tailored to the needs of their participants. Nevertheless, you should take the time and thoroughly check the offered insurance policy. Here are some of the issues you should check:

  • Does the policy meet the requirements of the target country for sufficient insurance cover?
  • Does the health insurance policy provide sufficient benefits?
  • Are you covered in case of an interruption of your program, for example during a holiday?
  • Are you covered in case of sports accidents?

If such an insurance policy meets your expectations, you should probably purchase it. If you are still not really convinced or if you have any questions, feel free to contact us. We will be happy to provide you with independent and objective advice.

Prior to your stay abroad

Many embassies require an insurance certificate as a prerequisite for granting visa. So make sure to purchase insurance in time. Should the stay abroad be postponed to a later date, you can always adjust the insurance period respectively. In this case, all you need to do is send us an email prior to the planned day of departure. Where you notify us after the originally planned day of departure, you need to provide us with proof (passport copy or ticket).

During your stay abroad

Should you need medical treatment during your stay abroad, we will be happy to assist you. You can call us and we will explain what you need to know when visiting a doctor abroad. You will also find all the details in our section What to do in the event of a claim. PROTRIP-WORLD is valid in the area of validity of your choice (Europe, worldwide without USA and Canada, worldwide incl. USA and Canada). In addition, accidents and emergency treatments are also covered worldwide and in your home country during holidays with a duration of up to 6 weeks.

After your stay abroad

You should always keep your insurance certificate since the authorities in a number of home countries require proof of insurance for the time spent abroad.

Do you require advice?
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us:

Phone: +49 (0) 2247 9194 -977

Mon-Fri: 8 am to 6 pm